Friday, 2 October 2009

Welcome one and all (closer to the one at present!)

Hello and welcome to my new (and first attempt) in the vast blogosphere:

Green Gambit - This blog is a portal into my research as an environmental historian (yes, that is a real subject!), combined with other ideas and thoughts linked to the environment that permeate my mind at inappropriate times.

If you have mused upon questions such as,

"How have human's become so dislocated from the natural world?"
"Is a natural disaster ever natural?"
"Where did all the risk in modern life come from?"
"How can we sustain, sustainable development?"
"Is climate change real, imagined or invented by politicians?"
"Did the "environment" exist before the rise of the environmental movement?"
and "Collectively are humans inherently destructive?"

then this place may be of interest to you.

I'm aiming to write something here every couple of weeks or so, linking specific environmental event examples from my research with larger perspective questions like those above. Hopefully it will get you folks thinking, commenting and contributing- so bookmark me, rss feed me or whatever else it is you modern people do to follow blogs!

I'll leave this brief introduction to my page with a quote from the man- Aldo Leopold,

"Conservation is getting nowhere because it is incompatible with our Abrahamic vision of land. We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we begin to use it with love and respect."

Until next blog-time,
Alfie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alfie,

    I just navigated to your site after seeing your H-Enviro email.

    I started my own blog at just about the same time you did, for precisely the same reasons. As you can read in my blog, my area of specialization is 20th century urban environmental history in North America, so we're both pursuing many of the same "big questions."

    Good luck in your work, and I look forward to visiting your blog into the future!

    James

    ReplyDelete