Monday, 7 December 2009

Through a haze of flu, some thoughts for you...

Well hello one and all.

Apologies for not posting since October one has been rather busy- in fact one is still rather busy but a proper bout of man flu means I can't face any more pressing writing today and hence i'm blogging!

Thus, this is less of a planned article and more a few musings attempting to be coherent through my lemsip induced fug:

- Cop 15 started today, I'm not going to muse at length here because I think every journalist in the world is writing about it today. All I will say is: why the devil are humans so obsessed with proof and measurement?

Whether you believe in anthropogenic climate change or not - (see the image below!) - surely you understand why renewable energy is superior to fossil fuel. The clue is in the name in case you missed it.
Humanity has managed to use this stored energy to develop some of the most amazing inventions and cities ever seen. Now we have to work out how to keep all the advances whilst shifting to a form of energy that doesn't take millions of years to form!

Glacier Retreat- Honeycomb Glacier - Washington State, USA: Photo Bill Arundell

- Christmas is upon us and even more scarily than that, its the end of the decade that no-one knows what to call- (the noughties is just too camp, even for me!) As a treat to see out the decade here are some lovely quotes I have stumbled across recently:

"When somebody persuades me that I am wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" - John Maynard Keynes responding to the criticism that some of his theories contradict each other!

"In wildness is the salvation of the world. Perhaps this is the hidden meaning of the howl of the wolf, long known among mountatins but seldom perceived among men." - Aldo Leopold on Thoreau's dictum.

And one rather jovial to finish, from the king of quotes, J.B Haldane, upon bursting his own ear drum in an experiment;

"Although one is somewhat deaf, one can blow tobacco smoke out of the ear in question, which is a social accomplishment."

Have a Merry Christmas- and send me your suggestions for proper pieces for me to write in 2010 (already in the pipeline are land ownership, since records began, and some thoughts about what is a disaster!)

Alfie x


No comments:

Post a Comment