Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Framing evolution and religion on the BBC



Below is an audio recording of my recent paper, "Framing evolution and religion on the BBC" given at the International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture's 10th anniversary conference, held at the University of Florida in Gainesville, from 14th - 17th January 2016.

The paper was part of a panel featuring my colleagues, qualitative sociologist Stephen Jones, social psychologist Carola Leicht and philosopher of science and project PI Fern Elsdon-Baker. The panel was one of the first academic outings for some of the preliminary findings of our research project, Science and Religion: Exploring the Spectrum (SRES), a Templeton Religion Trust funded multidisciplinary project exploring the cultural and social drivers that present science and religion as necessarily in conflict.

As part of the historical strand of the project I have been exploring how the relationship between evolutionary theory and religion was presented by the British media during the second half of the 20th century. In the below paper I introduce my preliminary analysis of the BBC's radio and television output that dealt with both biological evolution and religion in the period 1945-2009.



Please note that this is the first public outing for my new research as part of the SRES project and at this early stage I welcome any feedback, comments, questions or ideas for future directions of my work.

Thanks for listening - if you enjoyed my paper, please do share the link with friends, colleagues and anyone else who might be interested!


No comments:

Post a Comment